As it is in Heaven

Daniel Dareus, an internationally successful conductor returns to his home village. Comes across an amateur village choir and tries to help them realize something special. It has been his childhood dream to create music to warm a person’s heart. Everyone falls is in love with the celebrity stranger. As the plot progresses, we see a slice of the whole community, the infightings, misgivings, the simplicity and warmth. He is perceived to be special (or just different) that no one really compares themselves to him. The peer envy just ebbs away. This invokes a confession, a frankness and a reflection in everyone as they interact with him.

When I return to India eventually and look back, the small heaven at Alby would probably stand out amidst my wonderful experiences in Europe. I am no Darius but I think the feeling cannot be different. During the initial weeks in Sweden, a bunch of strangers(till then) helped me out. They put me up at their place. Fed me. Did everything to make me feel at home. Voluntarily. Even after I found my own place to settle down, they continued to invite me to spend time with them. A genuineness and warmth that cannot be refused. Those Friday night-outs couched on a sofa have been pure fun. They are from a different professional background(technicians); most of them older than me with grown up kids. There is a twist , though. They seldom talk to each other. The same issues you expect in any peer group setting. Each of them have tales of suspicion to narrate about another. Yet, as the outsider, I see the goodness in each. So I become their Santa, showing up on Fridays with a pizza or something, to switch on the heaven-mode. And everyone forget their prejudices and talk. Well, it is more like talking through me. The vodka helps too.

I recognize and smile at the root cause. One of them got promoted to lead (largely out of convenience) and peers have issues with that. To be in charge, no matter how cautious you are, you might still get consumed by it. The great Ryszard Kapuscinski once wrote “and the essence of authority is that it must manifest its power”. Euphemistically termed ‘politics’, what ensues is the regular mix of misunderstandings and conflict of interests. And to an outsider, it all appears too silly and solvable. But their straightforwardness and rustic take on things do not fail poke my ‘sophisticated’ sensibilities. Ok. I got an additional degree but goodness was never a part of education. It dawns on me that our capacity for goodness can be consumed by a focus on education and career.

For them, I am godsend. A total surprise. Because by designation, I could very well have been their boss. But then, I come through as the nice guy next door. Down to earth. So much so that they lovably ‘order’ me to help with the household chores. Quite amusing to have ‘ordered’ a manager in their life, they claim. But it’s all fun and done in good spirits. They are excellent cooks. Real pros, that you are only happy to play second fiddle chopping onions. On the other hand, I stun them with my discourses in strategy or computer software. They seek advice in English and I brag about like someone who has seen it all. An Imposter maybe but then, my willingness to be the underdog and learn from these veteran chefs (Chilly Chicken for Dummies! ). Everything starts with mutual respect.

One guy talks about his bro who makes things happen in the local Kochi market; like, you can approach this fellow to get things done. Just like that. He has a reputation, people take his word, he can roll money, run errands, all without holding a big job or credit on himself…how does such things happen….I listen in wonderment. Another talks about his ancestry, somewhere in Trichur where an entire community are his relatives..like his grandpa had twenty children and everyone in the street are related….Wonderful stories…I listen…a couple of vodka more, one of them grabs my hand and confesses I am godsend. It’s funny because I seem to understand perfectly what he means. He sees in me a large heart and no ego. But does he realize he has a larger one to see goodness in an impostor. Maybe it is the vodka after all… I only know that I feel genuinely happy, grateful and special in their company.

And I know I am not different. Back home, I am guilty of the same politics, misunderstanding, ego clashes, or plain and simple envy. Yet, when you are not a peer, on a temporary sojourn, with no real agenda you can afford to be nice. When there is no agenda, the possibilities are endless. Believe me, the TGIF evenings have been boisterous. Raucous. Freewheeling. Festive with wonderful cooking, watching old mallu flicks in the background and plain braggadocio. Oh! I forgot the vodka again.

So think about this. Why do we need others to first make you feel special , treat you as special, to actually become special? Or, is it the other way around. Just deciding to be special gets infectious enough. I dunno which of us ignited this goodness. Maybe goodness can be created. Just like that. But I have feeling that heavens can be created through selfless acts.

the only worry though, is that in the film (‘As it is in Heaven’) Daniel Dareus ends up dying after having accomplished his dream of warming another person’s heart.

Comments